JOB TITLE: Quality Specialist, Health Information Technology
LOCATION: Little Rock, Arkansas
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Function as a knowledgeable practitioner, educator and evaluator to maintain and improve clinical outcomes, and to mentor clinicians to become better technology consumers. Provide expertise and leadership necessary to achieve demonstrable improvements in the quality of care delivered through the use of clinical measures that are implemented through health information technology. Responsible for the communication, education and promotion of quality improvement projects and activities to health care providers and consumers for facilitation of improved outcomes in targeted patient populations. Work with team members to implement and evaluate educational activities and tools for health care providers and consumers regarding quality improvement and designated clinical topics. Collaborate with medical and other professional staff to accomplish goals within designated timeframes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Promote and educate regarding the use of EHR for standardization and point-of-care decision support in everyday clinical practice by understanding data collection purposes, methods and tools.
2. Collaborate with team members to develop strategies to implement quality improvement objectives throughout the state of Arkansas.
3. Understand, demonstrate methods, apply, and educate external customers about the Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) process.
4. Participate in the planning, development, implementation, delivery and evaluation of multiple program activities with respect to each academic detailing episode.
5. Communicate clinical data, AFMC project goals, performance indicators, and designated timelines to appropriate target audiences.
6. Serve as a resource and advisor to health care providers through the state of Arkansas.
7. Understand and utilize project-tracking database to document, collect, and interpret data to meet contractual and other reporting requirements. Maintain accurate statistical data.
8. Maintain log of all academic detailing visits, including date, time, location, name, topics covered, feedback received and recommendations made from the visit. The log should be entered into the project tracking system or other electronic file storage within five (5) days of visit.
9. Identify, present, and discuss progress and issues relating to focus areas and suggest solutions to assist in program development.
10. Ensure all activities address designated performance goals, the appropriate target audience, and are performed within designated time frame.
11. Assist in research, development and presentation of Skills Fair training events for licensed and non-licensed staff.
12. Maintain knowledge of specific projects including: contract, contract deliverables, policies and procedures, etc.
13. Communicate effectively with internal and external clients. Represent AFMC at various external functions. Perform periodic outreach functions to program participants.
14. Adhere to format, content and style guidelines, giving consideration to usability and ensuring accuracy, consistency and quality.
15. Follow AFMC, state and federal protocols regarding data confidentiality/security and HIPAA compliance.
16. Additional other duties as assigned.
Physical and Sensory Requirements (With or Without the Aid of Mechanical Devices):
Mobility, reaching, bending, lifting, grasping, ability to read and write, ability to communicate with personnel and ability to remain calm under stress. Must be able to lift and transport 20 pounds. Must be capable of performing the essential job functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
Required: Diploma or Associate’s degree in nursing. Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Arkansas.
Desirable: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in nursing, health care or related field.
Required: Five (5) years of clinical nursing experience. Two (2) years of leadership experience. Experience in the selection, implementation and support of clinical information systems / electronic health records. Experience reporting CMS mandated measures ( i.e., PQRS).
Desirable: Experience in provider and patient education; Possess current knowledge concerning major health IT initiatives at the Federal and State levels.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Proficient skill level with MS Office (SharePoint, Excel, Word and Outlook).
Proficient skill level with Windows applications.
Type a minimum of 40 wpm.
General knowledge of: ICD-9, ICD-10, SNOMED-CT, CPT-4, LOINC, and RxNorm.
Knowledge and understanding of clinical workflow processes, resulting in current and future workflow enhancements and performance improvements to support clinic practice
Demonstrated knowledge of measurement and reporting of clinical processes in inpatient and ambulatory setting and is able to identify measures which are most important.
Strong skills in business English and spelling are required.
Knowledge and understanding of Federal government contracting.
Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Manage stressful situations in a manner that is conducive to finding a resolution.
Strong oral communication skills
Strong writing communication skills.
Patient and consumer centric.
Ability to delegate as required.
Ability to meet deadlines.
Attention to detail.
Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently to achieve stated goals.
Ability to relate professionally and positively with staff, business partners, customers, constituents, recipients and the public.
Ability to multitask and work on several complex issues at the same time.
Ability to prioritize.
Strong organizational skills.
Problem solving skills.
Project management skills.
Ability to read, interpret and apply laws, rules and regulations.
Strong public speaking skills.
Knowledge of quality improvement processes and techniques.
Valid driver’s license.
Extensive travel including overnight travel required.
Time management skills.
Ability to work overtime as needed.
Regular and punctual attendance.